Our Ice Fishing Trip will take you to a frozen lake located around 20 kilometres north of Rovaniemi, over the Arctic Circle. The destination will make you fully aware of the amazing Arctic beauty and give you the chance to enjoy it in silence. The place we choose for ice fishing not only has a good chance to catch something but we also your peace of mind. Many locals still practice this activity during the winter to catch food for themselves, and to enjoy the relaxing serenity of Lapland nature.
After being picked up from your accommodation and given proper winter clothing and boots (it can be very cold on the lake), your guide will drive you away from Rovaniemi to find the peaceful location. The you have a short 5 minute walk through the Arctic forest before you reach the beautiful frozen lake. Once you have found a promising spot, your guide will show you how to drill your own hole in the ice, and teach you the basic techniques of how to ice fish. Then, it is just a matter of time and patience before you can feel the first bites! This is just the perfect moment to appreciate the silent wilderness spreading all around you.
Your guide will always be there to assist you if you will need help or feel cold. While you are fishing, your guide will chop wood and prepare a fire on the shore for you. Some typical Finnish campfire snacks and hot drinks will be served around the fire and will offer a great opportunity for your guide to answer all your questions about life in the Arctic and Lapland in general. If you manage to catch a fish (of a decent size), your guide will happily prepare it, cook it straight over the fire and add it to the menu of the day! If the fish are undersized, we return them to the ice without unnecessarily harming them.
In all our activities, our groups are limited to 8 people maximum. It is very important for us to provide you with the best experience possible, and avoid mass tourism. This way, your guide will know you better and will be able to address all your needs and answer your questions. Also, in relation to ice fishing, keeping our groups small allows our guests to fully experience the peaceful silence of Lapland nature. As we usually say – the smaller the group, the bigger the experience!
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off for accommodations outside the city centre. Extra surcharge if staying 10 kilometres or further from the centre,
- Professional winter overalls and boots,
- Ice Fishing gear and equipment,
- Professional guide,
- Campfire snacks and hot drinks,
- Tax and fees.
- Bottle of water,
- We will provide you with overalls and boots, but please be prepared and use good under-layers, socks, hats and gloves.
Cold weather clothing will be provided, but we recommend to dress appropriately. Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions. This experience may require a certain amount of endurance.
Hotel pick-ups commence 10 – 60 minutes prior to the start time. Your pick up time will be confirmed by email.
- Alcoholic drinks
Meeting point : Wild About Lapland Office
Pickup is offered in following places
- Apukka Resort (Transfer fee is € 40 / one-way – please contact us)
- Arctic Snow Hotel (Transfer fee is € 60 / one-way – please contact us)
- Arctic TreeHouse Hotel
- Guesthouse Borealis
- Hostel Ibedcity
- Läkituvat Cottages / Meeting point
- Lapland Hotels Ounasvaara Chalets
- Lapland Hotels Sky Ounasvaara
- Motelli Rovaniemi
- Napapiirin Saarituvat Cottages
- Santa Claus Holiday Village Reception
- Santa’s Igloos Arctic Circle
- Vaattunki Wilderness Resort (Transfer fee is € 60 / one-way – please contact us)
- Walk in the office / City Centre accommodation