Before embarking on your sightseeing tour, your qualified canoe guide will teach you the basic techniques of how to canoe and will provide you with all the safety instructions needed. You will be explained how to use the paddles, how to move on water and steer your canoe, how to react if capsizing, etc. You will start on very quiet waters, protected by islands, to get used to the canoe and the different techniques. During the tour, your guide will always be on hand to help if you need.
While paddling, your guide will show you around Rovaniemi and the different tourist attractions – the Arktikum Museum, Kemijoki, Ounasjoki, Ounasvaara, the Lumberjack bridge, the Rovaniemi beach, the church… Your guide will share with you knowledge about the town and its history, life in the Arctic, and the nature that surrounds Rovaniemi. As you follow the flow of the river, you will have one stop at the Kotisaari island, which used to be a stronghold for lumberjacks, before heading to the Local Heritage Museum of Rovaniemi located on the shores of the river.
The visit to the museum will be the opportunity to travel back in time and discover life in a local farmhouse a hundred years ago. The museum covers different aspects of the traditional lifestyles in Lapland and the different trades such as salmon fishing, cattle farming, hunting and forestry. The museum displays a rich collection of artefacts and interesting objects such as one of the very first Bibles written in Finnish, as well as a photography exhibition of the history of Rovaniemi.
Every moment of this tour is a great opportunity for those of you who are photography enthusiasts, so do not forget to bring your camera along. The tour lasts around 3 hours and 30 minutes, including transportation, canoeing and safety instructions, paddling time (around 90 minutes depending on your level) and the visit to the museum.
In all our activities, our groups are limited to 8 people maximum. It is very important for us to provide you with the best experience possible, and avoid mass tourism. This way, your guide will know you better and will be able to address all your needs and answer your questions. As we usually say – the smaller the group, the bigger the experience!
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off for accommodations outside the city centre. Extra surcharge if staying 10 kilometres or further from the centre,
- Canoes, paddles, life jackets,
- Qualified canoeing guide,
- Safety instructions and basic canoeing lessons,
- Visit of the Rovaniemi Local Heritage Museum,
- Pastry and hot drinks,
- Tax and fees,
- Offsetting your travel emissions by planting trees!
- Bottle of water,
- Recommended to bring spare clothing with you.
The tour operates in all weather conditions. Please dress suitably for this trip, check the weather the day before and have the necessary items ready. Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions.
The tour may be adapted, or cancelled, due to unsafe weather conditions.
Hotel pick-ups commence 10 – 60 minutes prior to the start time. Your pick up time will be confirmed by email.
- Alcoholic drinks
Meeting point : Wild About Lapland Office
Pickup is offered in following places
- Apukka Resort (Transfer fee is € 40 / one-way – please contact us)
- Arctic Snow Hotel (Transfer fee is € 60 / one-way – please contact us)
- Arctic TreeHouse Hotel
- Guesthouse Borealis
- Hostel Ibedcity
- Läkituvat Cottages / Meeting point
- Lapland Hotels Ounasvaara Chalets
- Lapland Hotels Sky Ounasvaara
- Motelli Rovaniemi
- Napapiirin Saarituvat Cottages
- Santa Claus Holiday Village Reception
- Santa’s Igloos Arctic Circle
- Vaattunki Wilderness Resort (Transfer fee is € 60 / one-way – please contact us)
- Walk in the office / City Centre accommodation