Head into arctic nature and discover the beautiful wilderness of Lapland with this complete educational tour. The hike is adapted to the level of the group with different difficulty options, and to the highlights of the season. Even without snow, Lapland is worth discovering!
We offer two different hike options:
– a half-day tour : a gentle hike in a great nature area in the Rovaniemi region, with a great viewpoint. The hike is usually around 4-5km and the tour lasts 3h30-4h.
– an all-day tour : a longer hike in Rovaniemi area (10-15km) or a gentle hike in another region of Lapland to discover other nature features. In this case, the hike can be 5-8km into a canyon or up to the top of lappish fells ("local mountains").
In both cases, the experience is designed to explore some elusive nature area or reach some viewpoints over the immense subarctic forests. Along the way, your outdoor guide will explain to you about your surroundings, the fauna and flora, footprints in the early snow or in the mud, how to use trees or mushrooms, identify the berries to eat, and some other basics of how to survive in such difficult conditions.
A break with an open fire will also allow you to grill a typical Finnish snack with hot beverages. This is a great opportunity for your guide to show you how to build a fire in arcitc conditions and answer all your questions about Lapland.
This tour is operated in small groups only in order to allow a proper connexion with nature.
We organise this excursion from Spring to Autumn so you can experience Arctic nature even without snow. In Wintertime, we recommend the following hiking alternatives to fully enjoy the special snowy landscapes of Lapland at their best :
– Hike in Korouoma Canyon to see the frozen waterfalls ;
– A snowshoe hike or a ski trek adventure to get off the beaten tracks!
- Hotel pick-up
- Expert outdoor guide
- Barbecue snacks & hot drinks
- Explanation & stories
- Nature features
- Mosquito repellent / sunscreen (if needed)
- All handling fees and taxes
Please dress appropriately according to the weather. We recommend to take an extra water bottle or extra snacks if you feel the need to.
We recommend to book in advance, as availability may be limited in peak seasons.
A minimum of 2 paying adult participants is required for the trip to operate. We reserve the right to cancel the trip if the group is too small or because of bad weather conditions.
If you are a solo traveler, you are very welcome to join any departing trip at the standard price or we may organise the trip just for you at some extra costs (please contact us).
Child prices apply only to children under 12 years old. Children must be accompanied by one adult. The child rate only apply if the conditions of two paying adult participant is met.
Please dress appropriately according to the weather, with good hiking shoes, hats/sunglasses or rain/warm clothing.
A certain amount of walking is involved. This tour is not recommended for pregnant travelers, for people with heart conditions or with limited mobility. We do not recommend for children under 8 years old to join as the trip either. Their participation is subject to our approval before booking the tour.
- Hiking poles (can be rented for 5€ only)
Meeting point : Arctic City Hotel
Pickup is offered in following places
- Apukka Resort (20km) – Extra costs may apply
- Arctic City Hotel
- Arctic Light Hotel
- Arctic Resort Delight
- Arctic Snow Hotel & Glass Igloos (35km – extra transfer fees may apply)
- Arctic TreeHouse Hotel
- Glass Resort
- GuestHouse Arctic Heart
- Guesthouse Borealis
- Guesthouse Outa
- Haawe Boutique Apart Hotel
- Hostel Café Koti
- Hostel Ibedcity
- Hostel Tikka
- Hotelli Aakenus
- Lapland Hotels Ounasvaara Chalets
- Lapland Hotels Sky Ounasvaara
- Lomavekarit Apartments
- Lumimaa – Snowland
- Motelli Rovaniemi (10km) – Extra costs may apply
- Nordic Odyssey Office
- Nova Skyland Hotel
- Ollero Eco Lodge
- Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna
- Ounasvaara Lakituvat
- Ounasvaara Sport Cottages
- Saarituvat Cottages
- Santa Claus Holiday Village
- Santa’s Holiday Homes
- Santa’s Hotel Rudolf
- Santa’s Hotel Santa Claus (City Center)
- Santa’s Igloos Arctic Circle
- Santasport Hotel
- Scandic Pohjanhovi
- Scandic Polar
- Scandic Rovaniemi City
- Snowman World
- Wherever Hostel