Lampivaara Amethyst Mine, located in Pyhä-Luosto national park, is a fascinating travel destination all year round. The amethyst of Lampivaara fell was born 2 000 million years ago in the bowels of the ancient mountains. There is now a gem mine on the top of the hill that will sustain for the hundreds of years. Amethyst Mine is operating in extraordinary way: no big machines are used for digging and none of the rich deposit is sold as a raw material. The sustainable Amethyst Mine is welcoming visitors all year round.
Guided mine tour include the stories of geology, history and nature. Also you will hear about the properties of the gems and the uses of amethyst. There are positive beliefs and fascinating stories about amethyst in many cultures. Leonardo da Vinci always had an amethyst stone on his working desk. He wrote into his diary: “Amethyst dispels evil thoughts and speeds up thinking”.
Amethyst Mine is open during summer 1.6. – 31.10.2020.
THE VISIT (ca 1 hour) includes:
- Berry juice will be served upon arrival.
- An informative story of amethyst that includes explanations about the geology and nature of the area and the formation of the amethyst stone 2000 million years ago. Stories contain also beliefs that are associated to this purple gemstone, all of them positive.
- Some time to take photos.
- The joy of digging and finding own amethyst to keep as a souvenir. One stone is included and it should fit into your fist. There is a small fee if you wish to take more stones.
- A visit to small shop from where it is possible to buy stones and locally made amethyst jewellery that is not sold anywhere else. One can also become owner of the mine by purchasing a share with a certificate actualized as an original etching.
How to get to the Amethyst mine?
The shortest hiking route is from Ukkoluosto (Address: Ukkoluostontie, 99555 Luosto) parking area (2,5 km) which will take approx. 35 – 45 min/one way to the Lampivaara Café. As the mine is located in the national park, private motoring is not allowed. If you need car transportation, please contact by e-mail: visit (AT) amethystmine.fi or give us a call to Amethyst Shop tel.int. +358-16-624 334.
+358 400 902 677
16.8.-30.9.2020 every day from 11 am to 4 pm
1.-31.10.2020 Tuesday-Saturday from 11 am to 3 pm
Tours start every hour on the hour.