Summer tips by Rovaniemi travel professionals
What do locals do in Rovaniemi in the summer? We talked to a few local travel professionals who revealed their favourite summer pastimes – read the tips below.
Juho Uutela, Beyond Arctic:
– My absolute favourite thing to do in the summer is trekking in nature. I pack a lunch in my backpack, head out of the city and climb on top of a fell, for example. The best things about it are the views over forests and wildernesses as well as breathing fresh air amidst pure nature.
– It puts your mind at rest and helps you forget about your trials and tribulations. The views change as the treeline draws closer; there’s rivers, bogs, forests, rocky fields and distant horizons. Finding a good break spot on the way, building a fire and having lunch in nature – it’s the best summer activity!
- Juho runs Beyond Arctic, an activity company that offers adventures and photography tours in Rovaniemi and Lapland: beyondarctic.com
Yulia Alasuutari, SantaPark Arctic World:
– Barbequing in the summer is in the blood of locals. All you need is a sunny day, a barbeque, fresh local produce like meat and vegetables and, of course, great company!
– Luckily Rovaniemi offers all of the above! I strongly believe that the sun shines brighter, the birds sing louder and the whole world gets better with great barbeque – one bite of smoky deliciousness at a time.
- Yulia works as Sales Manager for SantaPark Arctic World: santaparkarcticworld.com
Jyrki Karonen, Lapland Safaris:
– When summer and holidays arrive, I’m to be found waist-deep in the river holding a fly fishing rod. Every now and then you have to travel a bit to catch salmon, but there are great spots near Rovaniemi for catching grayling, rainbow trout and brown trout.
– Catching something is always a plus, but for me the main thing is simply getting down to the river. Many consider staring at an open fire mesmerizing, but I think flowing water and thundering rapids are even better – that’s what I love, that’s what I live for.
- Jyrki works as Destination Manager for activity company Lapland Safaris in Rovaniemi: laplandsafaris.com
Heidi Rantanen, Visit Rovaniemi:
– One of my favourite things to do in the summer is practicing yoga outdoors. Rovaniemi and surrounding areas have numerous beautiful forests and nature spots that are good for yoga and give the mind a rest as well.
– Fascinating landscapes are inspiring for any outdoor workout, but with yoga they give an extra dimension of relaxation.
- Heidi works as an Officer of Tourism in Rovaniemi Tourist Information in the centre of town: visitrovaniemi.fi