Sat 17.11. at 16 The Grand Opening of the Christmas Season 2018. Santa Claus Village, Arctic Circle.
The Grand Opening of the Christmas Season is an annual and traditional, merry event that starts the Christmas season in Rovaniemi. The event begins at 4 pm at the central square of Santa Claus Village. In Rovaniemi, Christmas is every day, but the opening ceremony reminds us of the Christmas’ message of goodwill, sharing and caring – all of the three main characters that Santa Claus stands for. To cherish the event’s message, the elves and local artists put on a festive concert that culminates in Santa Claus’ speech – what he got in store for us this year?
Grand Opening brings together Rovaniemi citizens and tourists to celebrate all things Christmas. It’s known for being a warm-hearted and welcoming event, that’s also a reason to visiting Rovaniemi for many. The evening is rounded off with dancing to Christmassy disco tunes.
For those who are not able to make it this year, you can watch Grand Opening live. Go to Visit Rovaniemi Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/VisitRovaniemi.fi/) or Livestream ( https://livestream.com/onair/santaclaus2018 ) and join the celebration! The event will be visible in all of Visit Rovaniemi’s social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).
The Christmas Opening day is full of family-friendly activities:
– SantaPark – the Home Cavern of Santa Claus celebrates it’s 20th birthday by giving you free entrance to Christmassy cavern at 10-17.
– Meet reindeer and take a photo with it on Santa Claus Village’s main square (Santa Claus Reindeer).
– Free entrance to Arctic Circle Husky Park at 11-17
– Enjoy hot wine “glögi” on Café Santa Claus’ and Café Lofts’ terraces.
– Ride a pony at Elf’s Farm Yard (included to ticket)
– Fazer counsel and special offers in Christmas House
– Free sausages next to Balmuir’s shop starting from 2 pm (Rovaniemi Log House)
– Pop up selfie stage on Santa Claus Village’s main square
Shuttle bus (free of charge):
From city center, front of Santa’s Hotel Santa Claus (Korkalonkatu 29) nonstop at 14.00-15.30.
Shuttle bus back from Santa Claus Village to city center runs from 17.00 (right after the event) until 18.00 or as long as needed.
The event is free of charge.
The celebration is organized by Visit Rovaniemi.