After being picked up and given warm clothing (recommended as it can be very cold during the safari), your guide will drive you to a very lovely husky kennel located 30 minutes drive away from Rovaniemi. As soon as you get out of the city, you will already be enjoying the magical snowy forests and surrounding landscapes.
At the farm, you will be welcomed by the mushers and the excited barking of their lovely dogs. You will be introduced to your dog team and given safety instructions and some tips on how to drive the sleigh. Once ready, you will embark on a great sled ride adventure through the winter scenery for about 10 km (around 1 hour / 1 hour 15 minutes depending on the snow conditions). You are always 2 adults maximum for the sleigh ride (one driving, and one passenger sitting in the sled – please note that only guests older than 18 years are allowed to drive), and you will have the possibility to switch the driver and passenger halfway.
After the safari, the mushers will take time to share their lifestyle, explain to you what the job of a musher consists of, how they train their dogs and answer all your questions around an open fire. All the dogs are very photo enthusiasts, so do not forget to bring your camera with you!
On all our excursions, our groups are limited to 8 people maximum, however at the kennels there can be other customers. It is very important for us to provide you with the best experience possible, and avoid mass tourism. This way, your guide will know you better and will be able to address all your needs and answer your questions. We also strictly select our partners based on ethical and responsible principles, to promote more authentic and respectful tourism in Lapland.
- Hotel pick-up/drop-off for accommodations outside the city centre. Extra surcharge if staying 10km or further from the centre,
- Winter clothing/boots,
- Safety and driving instructions,
- 10 km husky sled safari,
- Time to take pictures with the dogs,
- Informative talk about the dogs and the life of a sled dog,
- Hot beverage and cookies.
- Bottle of water
- We will provide you with overalls and boots, but please be prepared and use good under-layers, socks, hats and gloves.
Hotel pick-ups commence 10 – 60 minutes prior to the start time. Your pick up time will be confirmed by email.
Only guests older than 18 years are allowed to drive the sleigh.
The tour operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately. Cold weather clothing and boots can be provided if needed.
COVID-19: Your safety is our priority! Because of the Covid-19, we have taken additional measures to limit the risks of contagion and similar risks during our tours. Now more than ever, it makes even more sense for us to keep our philosophy of small group tours and to refuse mass tourism. Check our sanitary policy here.
Meeting point : Wild About Lapland Office
Pickup is offered in following places
- Apukka Resort (Transfer fee is € 40 / one-way – please contact us)
- Arctic Snow Hotel (Transfer fee is € 60 / one-way – please contact us)
- Arctic TreeHouse Hotel
- Guesthouse Borealis
- Hostel Ibedcity
- Läkituvat Cottages / Meeting point
- Lapland Hotels Ounasvaara Chalets
- Lapland Hotels Sky Ounasvaara
- Motelli Rovaniemi
- Napapiirin Saarituvat Cottages
- Santa Claus Holiday Village Reception
- Santa’s Igloos Arctic Circle
- Vaattunki Wilderness Resort (Transfer fee is € 60 / one-way – please contact us)
- Walk in the office / City Centre accommodation